Friday, September 24, 2010

Situational Leadership

This week we talked about the Theory of Situational Leadership. I really enjoyed this theory and learned a lot from it. We talked a lot about Nelson Mandela, and the movie Invictus. Mandela was such an effective leader in this situation, because he understood the differences in leadership style, and employed them based on what the situation called for. At times, Mandela needed to be more supportive, and other times he needed to be more directive.

Mandela is believed by many to be one of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen. His leadership helped the South African people become united as one people, and not divided as black and white. Without this great man, South Africa could very well be suffering from the ill effects of apartheid and discrimination to this very day.

I can apply this to my leadership role by better understanding what certain situations call for. At times, I will need to delegate more to my counselors rather than taking the bulk of the work myself. At other times, I need to take a more hands on approach, and need to have a more directive style.

For my book, I've chosen to read, Life of Joseph Smith The Prophet by George Q. Cannon. I chose to read this book because Joseph Smith has always been my role model, and I'd like to learn more about him. He was a very effective priesthood leader. By analyzing his great church service, I can learn how to better serve others myself in my position as Elders Quorum President. 
                                                                                

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts on how to apply their examples to your leadership role :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good example about situational leadership. Thanks for useful info!!! Keep updating.

    ReplyDelete